|Type/Department:||Staff in Physical Plant|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Department: Physical Plant
Job Title: Custodian
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 40 hours/week, Tuesday – Saturday 6:00 am – 2:30 pm
Pay Range/ Status: $17.00 - $18.00 Hour/ Non-Exempt
$1,360 - $1,440 paid biweekly
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Custodial Supervisor
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
NOW OFFERING A $300 SIGNING BONUS
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits package to Facilities employees.
New Facilities employees are immediately eligible for the following paid time off package:
- Holidays - 12 paid holidays per calendar year, including 1 floating holiday
- Personal Days - 3 personal days per fiscal year, prorated according to start date
- Sick days - 1 sick day accruing per month (Maximum of 130 days)
- Vacation days - 10 paid vacation days per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30), prorated according to start date; vacation time will increase with years of service.
Hampshire College also has a winter break that is fully paid for employees from Christmas Eve to New Years each year, typically 6 ½ paid days.
On top of generous paid time off, Hampshire College offers all full-time employees an excellent benefit package, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- College paid basic life insurance
- 403b Retirement plan with 8% match after 1 year service and employee contribution
- Educational opportunities for employees and their families, including a variety of college tuition benefits for dependent children.
For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our college culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The custodial department supports the educational mission and campus community of Hampshire College, with a special commitment to sustainable practices. As part of the custodial team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform general custodial duties in accordance with established Quality Assurance Program as well as: assists in event services support, summer cleaning and maintenance programs, furniture moves, and other departmental, program, and institutional support consistent with general nature of job duties. Custodial workers will act as independent entity in the maintenance and care of campus buildings as assigned while being a team member for group tasks as assigned. Custodial workers are expected to think and act progressively in the maintenance and care of their building(s). Custodial workers must participate in any active on-call program rotation, and snow removal program, and are considered essential personnel. Custodians must obtain and keep current certifications as required for the performance of their job duties and supported by the College. This position requires a pre-employment physical with lift test.
- General knowledge of custodial cleaning work.
- Minimum 1 years work experience; informal experience (volunteering, etc.) and student or casual work may be considered in lieu of or in addition to work experience.
- Posses a valid driver's license and be able to be a credentialed driver, insurable under the College's insurance provider.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments.
- Ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- Minimum of one-year job-related experience
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.