Associate Director - Outdoor Programs, Recreation, and Athletics
|Type/Department:||Administrator in Outdoor Programs and Recreational Athletics|
|Search Status:||Interviewing Candidates|
|Apply Now:||Currently we are not accepting resumes for this position.|
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium is accepting applications for an associate director for outdoor programs, recreation, and athletics.
Under the general direction of the director of outdoor programs, recreation, and athletics (OPRA), the associate director is responsible for the development and daily operation of outdoor programs at Hampshire College. This includes but is not limited to instructing outdoor programs, hiring and supervising part time staff, assuring all programs are outfitted with necessary equipment and supportive resources, and managing outdoor program facilities.
Leadership and Program Development (45%)
- Develop and manage a comprehensive offering of outdoor and experiential education programs.
- Manage the recruitment, hiring, training, and ongoing evaluation of student and non-student staff in the areas of outdoor and experiential education. This includes but is not limited to outdoor instructors, equipment room customer service staff, climbing wall staff, and bike shop technicians.
- Create a working environment that fosters student growth and development through the demonstration of leadership and mentorship. Successfully prepare students to work as outdoor program instructors through outdoor leadership classes and experiential trainings.
- Develop and maintain program policies, procedures, and operation manuals around industry best practices to ensure a quality program experience with appropriate risk management practices in place.
- In partnership with the office of new student experience, develop outdoor pre-orientation trips for incoming students.
- Provide leadership and supervision for assigned personnel to include 2 full time staff members and the direct or indirect supervision of over 15 student and casual staff.
- In collaboration with the communication coordinator for the division of student life, create and implement a comprehensive marketing and outreach plan to advertise programs to the campus community.
- In partnership with the office of alumni relations, plan and implement outdoor alumni trips.
- Assess, repair, and replace equipment as needed.
Program Instruction (45%)
- Instruct outdoor and/or experiential education programs and trainings to members of the campus community including students, staff, and faculty. Areas of instruction may include but is not limited to: hiking and backpacking, rock climbing, whitewater paddling (kayaking and rafting), canoeing, skiing, ice climbing, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, winter camping, and wilderness medicine.
Other Duties as assigned – 10%
- Bachelor’s degree in outdoor leadership, recreation, kinesiology, or related field.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience in the field of outdoor education.
- Demonstrated experience instructing outdoor and experiential education programs. Specifically, must be qualified to instruct a minimum of 3 of the following program area upon hire:
- Rock Climbing
- Whitewater rafting
- Canoeing (flat water)
- Ice climbing
- Winter Camping
- Cross Country Skiing
- Wilderness Medicine (WFA/WFR)
- Outdoor Leadership
- Bike Maintenance
- Demonstrated knowledge of outdoor leadership in higher education. Experience supervising and developing college student workers and/or young professionals.
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED or ability to obtain within one month of hire.
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Professional oral and written communication skills.
- Requires a valid Massachusetts driver’s license and must successfully meet the requirements of Hampshire College’s driver credentialing policy.
- Demonstrated experience working with Microsoft Windows, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- A commitment to working with people from diverse backgrounds is essential.
- Master’s degree in outdoor leadership, recreation, kinesiology, or related field.
- Climbing Instructor Certifications from AMGA or PCIA.
- ACA Whitewater Instructor Certification (Level 3 or above)
- Experience creating and maintaining a student worker environment focused on outdoor leadership development.
- Active NIRSA, AORE, or AEE Member
This is a full time, benefited position. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits program. Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.