Instructor - Outdoor Programs, Recreation, and Athletics
|Type/Department:||Administrator in Outdoor Programs and Recreational Athletics|
|Search Status:||Interviewing Candidates|
|Apply Now:||Currently we are not accepting resumes for this position.|
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium is accepting applications for an instructor for outdoor programs, recreation, and athletics.
Under the direction of the associate director for outdoor programs, recreation, and athletics (OPRA) the instructor is responsible for contributing to the daily operation of outdoor programs at Hampshire College. This includes but is not limited to instructing outdoor programs, hiring and supervising student staff, and managing some outdoor programs and facilities.
Program Instruction (60%)
- Instruct outdoor and/or experiential education programs and trainings to members of the campus community including students, staff, and faculty. Areas of instruction may include but is not limited to: hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, whitewater paddling (kayaking and rafting), canoeing, skiing, ice climbing, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, winter camping, bike maintenance, and wilderness medicine.
Leadership and Program Development (30%)
- Supervise the day to day operations of assigned outdoor programs and facilities.
- Manage the recruitment, hiring, training, and ongoing evaluation of student staff working at the bike shop and climbing wall.
- Contribute towards preparing students to work as outdoor program instructors through outdoor leadership classes and experiential trainings.
- Manage the scheduling of outdoor program staff to ensure adequate coverage for scheduled programs and facilities including: climbing wall, bike shop, and instructional programs.
- Contribute towards the development and maintenance of program policies, procedures, and operation manuals around industry best practices to ensure a quality program experience with appropriate risk management practices in place.
- Design, plan, and lead outdoor trips to take place during fall break, winter break, spring break, and pre-orientation week.
Other Duties as assigned – 10%
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience in the field of outdoor education.
- Demonstrated experience instructing outdoor and experiential education programs. Specifically, must be qualified to instruct a minimum of 3 of the following program areas upon hire:
- Rock Climbing
- Whitewater kayaking
- Whitewater rafting
- Canoeing (flat water)
- Ice climbing
- Winter Camping
- Cross Country Skiing
- Wilderness Medicine (WFA/WFR)
- Outdoor Leadership
- Bike Maintenance
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED or ability to obtain within one month of hire.
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Requires a valid Massachusetts driver’s license and must successfully meet the requirements of Hampshire College’s driver credentialing policy.
- A commitment to working with people from diverse backgrounds is essential.
- Bachelor’s degree in outdoor leadership, recreation, kinesiology, or related field
- Experience supervising and developing college student leaders and young professionals.
- Climbing Instructor Certifications from AMGA or PCIA.
- ACA Whitewater Instructor Certification (Level 3 or above)
- Experience working in a college or university setting.
- Active NIRSA, AORE, or AEE Member
This is a full time, 10-month benefited position with an employment cycle of August 15 to June 15. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits program. Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.