Access Services Associate: Media
|Type/Department:||Staff in Library|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Job Title: Access Services Associate: Media
Position Type: Full Time, Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $19.00 - $21.00 Hour / Non-Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Access Services Supervisor
Anticipated Start Date: August 22, 2022
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College The Hampshire College Library is a dynamic hub of people, technology, and information that serves as an incubator of ideas across disciplines. Educating for change demands comprehension of the past and vision for the future. The library’s innovative and risk-taking intellectual environment fosters new ways of creating knowledge and understanding. As part of the library team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the access services supervisor, the access services associate: media manages circulation of media production and presentation equipment for the library using the library catalog system. This position hires, trains, and supervises student employee staff for equipment circulation at the media services desk and provides training on all areas of media production and presentation. The associate is responsible for billed equipment follow up and responding to patrons who have questions about billed equipment. This position manages and maintains the equipment in the collection including troubleshooting as needed and researching new equipment for purchase and serves as a backup for other access services associates and may fill in at the main InfoBar as needed. In collaboration with the advanced media technical specialist, this position provides consultation and advice for student, faculty and staff project work. The associate serves on Five College library committees as needed.
- Strong technical, managerial and instruction-based communication skills
- Working knowledge of digital and analog photo, video, sound, and film production equipment
- Basic familiarity with library catalog and database systems as well as with Mac, Windows, and mobile operating systems, and willingness to learn
- Must be able to effectively mentor students to carry out comprehensive projects.
- Creativity in problem solving as well as amplifying college mission
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities
- A commitment to working with people from diverse backgrounds is essential
- Supports and enhances a sense of belonging and success of students from traditionally marginalized populations
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism
- A strong record of progressively responsible supervisory experience directly related to duties and responsibilities of the position, preferably in an academic environment
- Experience with analog photo and film equipment
- Working knowledge of past and current media formats
- Familiarity with archival media preservation
- Familiarity with social media
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Two-year college degree or equivalent
- Minimum of two years job-related experience
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin on July 11, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.