Benefits & Payroll Coordinator
|Staff in Human Resources Office
|Currently we are not accepting resumes for this position.
Department: Human Resources
Job Title: Benefits & Payroll Coordinator
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $28.00 - $32.50 Hour / Non-Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Assistant Director of Human Resources
Anticipated Start Date: February 6, 2023
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The mission of the office of human resources is to provide guidance and support to our academic and administrative offices on all College policies, procedures, and practices related to employment and human resources. Our core services and competencies include recruitment, hiring, compensation analysis, benefits administration, performance planning, training/development, employee relations, information system management, as well as compliance with state and federal employment laws and regulations. As part of the human resources team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The benefits & payroll coordinator is responsible for the general administration of the College’s benefit programs, including health & welfare, life, disability, worker’s compensation, retirement plans, and tuition benefits. Under the direction of the assistant director of human resources, this position will be responsible for processing enrollments, changes, and termination of benefits; responding to employee inquiries and drafting employee communications; and assisting with compliance and special projects as assigned. This position also serves as an assistant in the administration of payroll, working closely with the payroll manager to prepare and process monthly, bi-weekly, and student payroll. The coordinator primarily reports to the assistant director of human resources but may also take direction from the payroll manager for payroll functions and responsibilities.
As a member of the HR team and the division of finance and administration, this position is essential to employee and community service and experience. The incumbent must feel comfortable working in an evolving, fast-paced organizational framework with shifting responsibilities. This position collaborates with other HR staff, and a variety of offices to meet the department goals, and further the mission of the department and the College. This position participates as a committed member the human resources team in college and division committee work, projects, meetings, events, and overall community development.
- Best practices for human resources management, benefits administration, and/or payroll administration
- Applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards governing employment, benefits administration, and pay;
- Retirement plans, employee insurance plans, and employee assistance programs;
- Processing payroll.
- Planning, organizing, scheduling, completion of tasks;
- Maintaining confidentiality when holding and sharing sensitive information;
- Maintaining records and preparing reports and correspondence including required regulatory reports and records;
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Word, Excel, and web-based software);
- Communicating, both verbal and written communication;
- Customer service to include responsiveness, providing a friendly approach, and problem-solving;
- Organization and the ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Time management to include ensuring deadlines are met or completed ahead of commitment;
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work;
- Assisting in the implementation of the departments’ programming and special projects;
- Exercising sound independent judgment within general policy guidelines;
- Commitment to working with individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Understanding of a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds and disabilities within a community of college students and staff;
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- A human resources, benefits administration, or payroll administration background is required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with SHRM/HRCI certification or other relevant certifications.
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
- Two-year degree in a related field such as human resources management, business administration or a related field is preferred.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin on December 19, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.