|Type/Department:||Administrator in Business Office|
|Search Status:||Search Suspended|
|Apply Now:||Currently we are not accepting resumes for this position.|
Department: Business Office
Job Title: Bursar
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $60,000 - $70,000 / Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Senior Director of Accounting
Anticipated Start Date: March 6, 2023
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The business office provides the Hampshire community with best-practice financial support, guidance, and consultation, and is committed to delivering consistently accurate fiscal information for use in strategic planning and institutional growth. As part of the business office team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the senior director of accounting, the bursar is primarily responsible for the operations, administration, staffing, and development of the student accounts office, which includes accurate billing of student receivables, computer club receivables, collections, and managing communication. The position directly supervises the accounts receivable assistant and must work closely with other business office staff, financial aid staff, students, and their families.
As a member of the business office team and the division of finance and administration, this position is essential to employee and community service and experience. The incumbent must feel comfortable working in an evolving, fast-paced organizational framework with shifting responsibilities. This position collaborates with other business office staff, and a variety of offices to meet the department goals, and further the mission of the department and the College. This position participates as a committed member the business office team in college and division committee work, projects, meetings, events, and overall community development.
- Duties require a thorough knowledge of all aspects of student accounts receivable billing and collections as well as collections of student loans.
- Position requires a solid working knowledge of accounting principles and practices; auditing methods and procedures; applicable federal privacy laws and other federal regulations; financial analysis; external and internal reporting methods.
- Proven ability to work with a computerized ERP system; attention to detail and accuracy; other computer skills such as word processing, spreadsheets, and data entry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism; demonstrates and supports a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion; ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Four year college degree or equivalent
- Five years of job-related experience
- Minimum three years of supervisory experience
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin on January 23, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.