Early Learning Teacher
|Type/Department:||Staff in Children's Center|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Department: Early Learning Center
Job Title: Early Learning Teacher
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 40 Hours a week; 11-month employment cycle August to June
Pay Range/ Status: $21.00 Hour/Non-Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Director of the Early Learning Center
Anticipated Start Date: August 7, 2023
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. As part of the early learning center team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the director of the early learning center (ELC), the early learning teacher is responsible for providing a comprehensive early childhood program along with other early learning center staff. The teacher builds and maintains positive working relationships with ELC teachers, college students, families, children, and colleagues at Hampshire College. The teacher develops and maintains the classroom environment, documentation of the group and individual children’s development, and curriculum within the context of the ELC philosophy. Teachers build partnerships with families and colleagues to develop a model early childhood program based on best practice and current knowledge. The teacher assumes a leadership role in communicating and implementing the philosophy, vision, and core values of the school.
As a member of the ELC team, this position is essential to student and community service and experience. The incumbent must feel comfortable working in an often fast-paced organizational framework with shifting and evolving responsibilities. This position collaborates with other ELC staff, and a variety of other College stakeholders to meet the department goals, and further the mission of the department and the College. This position participates as a committed member of the ELC team in college committee work, projects, meetings, events, and overall community development. Availability to work occasional nights and weekends may be required.
- Sound knowledge of child development and of the learning activities appropriate for the 0-5 years age groups
- Working knowledge of the Reggio Emilia approach, emergent curriculum, negotiated curriculum and/or project approach.
- Skills necessary to engage in classroom management, curricular planning and parent communication.
- The person must
- The person must possess the ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- Planning, organizing, scheduling, assigning and reviewing the work of others.
- Selecting, training, instructing, appraising, counseling and motivating assigned staff.
- Maintaining records and preparing reports and correspondence including required regulatory reports and records.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Word, Excel, and web-based software).
- Communicating; both verbal and written communication, as well as presenting information to groups.
- Customer service to include responsiveness, providing a friendly approach, and problem solving.
- Time management to include ensuring deadlines are met or completed ahead of commitment.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Managing and implementing the departments’ programming and special projects.
- Assisting in the preparation of plans and design changes for programming.
- Exercising sound independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
- Ability to work as a self-directed individual contributor, supervisor, and team member.
- This person must successfully pass a CORI/SORI check as contingency of employment
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Two-year college degree or equivalent
- One year of job-related experience
- Must have MA DEEC Toddler Teacher certification.
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We’re particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.