Director of Dining Services
|Type/Department:||Administrator in Hampshire Food|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Department: Dining Services
Job Title: Director of Dining Services
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $80,000 - $88,000/ Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Director of Auxiliary Services
Anticipated Start Date: October 2, 2023
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 700 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. Our dining services department provides high quality meal services to students, employees, and guests in the form of take-out, dining-in, and catering from multiple locations on campus. Dining services is a creative, collaborative, and positive work environment. As part of the dining services team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the director of auxiliary services, the director of dining services serves as the department head of dining services, providing strategic leadership and general oversight of the department in collaboration with other dining services administrators.
The director of dining services holds a crucial role in the creation and maintenance of a high quality and efficient food service program. This includes the proactive pursuit of improvements and adaptations to the program based on operational circumstances and fluctuations in enrollment, all while adhering to the budgeted revenue constraints. Collaboration with various stakeholders, including student life and event services on campus, is a fundamental aspect of this role. Building and fostering relationships with dining directors at peer institutions within the Five College consortium is also emphasized to explore opportunities for collaboration where feasible. Furthermore, maintaining a constructive and cooperative working relationship with Amherst Health Inspection Services and other regulatory bodies is of utmost importance to ensure compliance and adherence to industry standards.
The director of dining services assumes responsibility for the effective leadership and oversight of all staff members involved in day-to-day operations. This entails upholding high standards and conditions throughout the dining services and cultivating an inclusive and positive environment that ultimately results in an exceptional experience for customers. In setting the tone and standards for the operation, the director sets high expectations for customer service, product knowledge, and education among the staff. Additionally, they ensure the implementation of safe work practices while demonstrating an unwavering commitment to providing the Hampshire College community with diverse and high-quality food and beverage options.
The director of dining services is a member and leader of the dining services team and of the finance and administration division leadership team. This position plays a critical role in providing effective services to the College community, meeting the needs of students, employees, and other constituents. The director is responsible for leading staff members, maintaining high standards and conditions, and fostering a positive and inclusive environment, leading to a quality experience for customers. The director establishes the workplace climate and norms of the operation by expecting high standards of customer service, product knowledge and education, by ensuring safe work practices, and by having a demonstrated commitment to providing high-quality service for the Hampshire College community. Availability to work evenings and weekends is required.
- Proven track record in effectively managing dining operations within educational institutions, conference centers, or analogous establishments.
- Exemplary demonstration of astute judgment, adept problem-solving and exceptional decision-making skills.
- Comprehensive experience in all aspects of food procurement, production, and service management.
- Demonstrated dedication to uncompromising quality standards and a strong focus on delivering outstanding customer service.
- Possesses a resourceful, resilient, highly motivated, and dynamic approach to leadership and management.
- Proficient in evaluating and prioritizing competing demands and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing computer software applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and point-of-sale systems such as CBORD.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and proficient in managing multiple tasks concurrently.
- Skilled in effectively communicating and promoting food services to diverse customer bases.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication abilities.
- Deep commitment to fostering inclusivity and working collaboratively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Extensive experience collaborating with individuals from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Instrumental in fortifying Hampshire College's climate for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Actively promotes and embodies a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, fostering an inclusive environment for all.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Four-year college degree or equivalent in Business/Hospitality/ Culinary
- Five years’ job-related experience
- Mandatory possession of ServSafe Certification.
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We’re particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin on August 28, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.