Custodian / Sunday - Thursday
|Type/Department:||Staff in Physical Plant|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Job Title: Custodian
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 40 Hours a week; Sunday - Thursday, 6:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Pay Range/ Status: $18.00 - $19.00 Hour/Non-Exempt
$1,440 - $1,520 paid bi-weekly
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Campus Service Manager
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits package to facilities employees.
New facilities employees are immediately eligible for the following paid time off package:
- Holidays - 12 paid holidays per calendar year, including 1 floating holiday
- Personal Days - 3 personal days per fiscal year, prorated according to start date
- Sick days - 1 sick day accruing per month (Maximum of 130 days)
- Vacation days - 10 paid vacation days per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30), prorated according to start date; vacation time will increase with years of service.
Hampshire College also has a winter break that is fully paid for employees from Christmas Eve to New Years each year, typically 6 ½ paid days.
On top of generous paid time off, Hampshire College offers all full-time employees an excellent benefit package, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- College paid basic life insurance
- 403b Retirement plan with 8% match after 1 year service and employee contribution
- Educational opportunities for employees and their families, including a variety of college tuition benefits for dependent children.
For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our college culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 700 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The custodial department supports the educational mission and campus community of Hampshire College, with a special commitment to sustainable practices. As part of the custodial team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The custodian performs general custodial duties in accordance with department procedures as well as: assists in event services support, summer cleaning and maintenance programs, furniture moves, and other departmental, program, and institutional support consistent with general nature of job duties. Custodial workers will act as independent entity in the maintenance and care of campus buildings as assigned while being a team member for group tasks as assigned. Custodial workers are expected to think and act proactively in the maintenance and care of their building(s). Custodial workers participate in active on-call program rotation at times, and the snow removal program, and are considered essential personnel. Custodians must obtain and keep current certifications as required for the performance of their job duties and supported by the College. This position requires a pre-employment physical with lift test.
This position is also essential to student and community service and experience. As a member of the facilities team, the incumbent must feel comfortable working in an evolving, face-paced organizational framework with shifting responsibilities. This position collaborates with other facilities staff, and a variety of offices to meet the department goals, and further the mission of the facilities department. The incumbent will participate as a committed member of the facilities team in college and department work, projects, meetings, events, and overall community development: assists in the coordination and facilitation of work and services for students and other community members.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- Ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments.
- General knowledge of custodial cleaning work.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and be able to be a credentialed driver, insurable under the College's insurance provider.
- Floor care experience
- Minimum one year of work experience preferred, but not required. Informal experience (volunteering, etc.) and student or casual work may be considered in lieu of or in addition to work experience.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- No formal education required
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.