|Type/Department:||Staff in College Advancement|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Job Title: Advancement Assistant
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $22.00 - $24.00 Hour / Non-Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Campaign Strategy Director
Anticipated Start Date: 12/1/2023
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 700 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The mission of the college advancement team is to build and sustain positive relationships across multiple constituencies and to engage robust philanthropic support from many different sources in order to realize fully the academic mission and potential of Hampshire College. As part of the advancement team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The advancement assistant is a critical support role for the fundraising and alumni relations team within the advancement division. They will work closely with the campaign strategy director to manage multiple priorities and organize workflow. The advancement assistant will be responsible for organizing and maintaining the chief advancement officer’s (CAO) schedule and correspondence. They will support the CAO and the campaign strategy director with projects such as board and campaign council meeting preparation, staff retreats, and other special projects as they are identified. They will support the work of front-line fundraising staff, including developing travel itineraries, coordinating briefing materials, assisting with visit preparation, and ensuring the collection and entry of visit reports. They will support the alumni and family relations program, including providing front-line customer service to college constituents, supporting the creation and distribution of constituent emails, and providing administrative support for special events and staffing events as needed.
As a member of the advancement team, this position is essential to alumni and community service and experience. The incumbent must feel comfortable working in an often fast-paced organizational framework with shifting and evolving responsibilities. This position participates as a committed member of the advancement team in college and division committee work, projects, meetings, events, and overall community development.
- Computer expertise within a professional environment. The successful candidate must be proficient in Word and Excel and be comfortable navigating multiple web-based tools (examples include Google Drive, Slack, Asana);
- Familiarity with administrative office functions such as utilizing printers and copiers, phone systems, receiving and sending professional correspondence, and working with others in an office setting;
- Willingness to learn new systems, processes, and tools;
- Proven ability to manage confidential information and sensitive correspondence/communication;
- Strong and accurate writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, and to work productively by establishing their own work plan, systems, and priorities;
- Attention to detail and flexibility while accommodating changing requirements and unexpected tasks;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with diverse constituents with a high level of courtesy and discretion;
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism;
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments;
- Embraces and actively promotes an inclusive and equitable work environment;
- Occasional night and weekend hours during special events may be required.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- Three years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
- Associate degree preferred.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.