|Type/Department:||Staff in Hampshire Food|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Department: Dining Services
Job Title: Prep Cook
Position Type: Part Time
Schedule: 25 Hours a week - 10-month employment cycle August 1 to May 31
Pay Range/ Status: $18.00 - $19.00 Hour/Non-Exempt
$850.00 - $950 paid bi-weekly.
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Executive Chef
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits package to dining service employees.
New dining services employees are immediately eligible for the following paid time off package:
- Holidays - 12 paid holidays per calendar year according to employment cycle, including 1 floating holiday
- Personal Days - 3 personal days per fiscal year, prorated according to start date and employment cycle
- Sick days - 1 sick day accruing per month (Maximum of 130 days)
- Vacation days - 10 paid vacation days per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30), prorated according to start date and employment cycle; vacation time will increase with years of service.
Hampshire College also has a winter break that is fully paid for employees from Christmas Eve to New Years each year, typically 6 ½ paid days.
On top of generous paid time off, Hampshire College offers all full and part time employees an excellent benefit package, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- College paid basic life insurance
- 403b Retirement plan with 8% match after 1 year service and employee contribution
- Educational opportunities for employees and their families, including a variety of college tuition benefits for dependent children.
Dining services offers regular, flexible schedules to our employees as we operate breakfast, lunch, and dinner service at 3 on-campus locations 7 days a week.
For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 700 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. Our dining services department provides high quality meal services to students, employees, and guests in the form of take-out, dining-in, and catering from multiple locations on campus. Dining services is a creative, collaborative, and positive work environment. As part of the dining services team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The prep cook serves as a contributing member of the dining services team. This position works in close coordination with other dining services staff and under the supervision of the executive chef and the lead kitchen supervisor to prepare, present, and serve food. The position supports all aspects of dining operations to include set up, cooking, cleaning, and general assistance to other dining services staff; may also be assigned to cashier, dish wash, serve and prepare meals.
As a member of both the dining services team and the division of finance and administration, this position is essential to student, employee, and community service and experience. The incumbent must feel comfortable working in an often fast-paced organizational framework with shifting and evolving responsibilities. This position collaborates with other dining services staff, and a variety of other college offices to meet the department goals, and further the mission of the department and the College. This position participates as a committed member of the dining services team in college and division committee work, projects, meetings, events, and overall community development.
- Must be able to prepare high-quality food items according to standardized recipes and instructions to meet production, delivery and service schedules;
- Must create or prepare grab and go items for delivery with focus on quality, portion and presentation;
- Must have commitment to quality;
- Must be well organized, detail oriented, and able to multi task;
- Must be able to interact in a pleasant manner with a diverse guest group;
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds;
- The position will require frequent standing, and bending from the waist;
- Required to be proficient with knives;
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Demonstrates skill in understanding of cultural differences;
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Minimum of one-year job-related experience
- Must be ServSafe certified
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.