|Staff in Physical Plant
|Currently we are not accepting resumes for this position.
Department: Facilities and Grounds
Job Title: Electrician
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 40 Hours a week/ 6:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Pay Range/ Status: $27.50 - $30.50 Hour / Non-Exempt
$2,200 - $2,440 paid biweekly
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Director of Facilities and Grounds
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits package to Facilities employees.
New Facilities employees are immediately eligible for the following paid time off package:
- Holidays - 12 paid holidays per calendar year, including 1 floating holiday
- Personal Days - 3 personal days per fiscal year, prorated according to start date
- Sick days - 1 sick day accruing per month (Maximum of 130 days)
- Vacation days - 10 paid vacation days per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30), prorated according to start date; vacation time will increase with years of service.
Hampshire College also has a winter break that is fully paid for employees from Christmas Eve to New Years each year, typically 6 ½ paid days.
On top of generous paid time off, Hampshire College offers all full-time employees an excellent benefit package, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- College paid basic life insurance
- 403b Retirement plan with 8% match after 1 year service and employee contribution
- Educational opportunities for employees and their families, including a variety of college tuition benefits for dependent children.
For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our college culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 700 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The facilities and grounds department is responsible for maintaining the buildings and grounds on the College campus. This includes preventive maintenance, inspections, repairs, landscaping, facilities management, snow removal, emergency response, and coordinating with other departments on campus to ensure efficient operations and property management. Facilities and grounds is a service-oriented department, which provides support to students, employees, and other stakeholders. As part of the physical plant team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the director of facilities & grounds, the electrician works with and assists the lead electrician and electrical helpers to provide journeymen level electrical repairs and maintenance on all electrical systems within college owned, rented or leased facilities. This position may take day to day direction from the lead electrician and assist the lead in electrical repairs/ projects and management of the College's electrical systems.
As a member of the facilities and grounds team, this position is essential to student, employee and community service and experience. The incumbent must feel comfortable working in an often fast-paced organizational framework with shifting and evolving responsibilities. This position collaborates with other facilities and grounds staff, and a variety of other college offices to meet the department goals, and further the mission of the department and the College. This position participates as a committed member of the facilities and grounds team in college and division committee work, projects, meetings, events, and overall community development: assists in the coordination and facilitation of work and services for students and other community members.
- Work inside and outside in varying weather conditions typical to the New England region;
- Climb ladders and work on scaffolding and aerial lift equipment when needed;
- Communicate, read, write and understand English at a level necessary for efficient job performance;
- Must have a reliable form of transportation to get to and from work;
- Must be able to be licensed under the college’s driver credentialing program upon hire and pass the DOT physical;
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism;
- Ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members;
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments.
- Knowledge of underground electrical infrastructure;
- Knowledge of high voltage generators;
- Knowledge of fire alarm systems and/ or licensed to work on fire alarm systems.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- Two years technical trades school training and two years field experience working as a licensed electrician or three years field experience working as a licensed electrician in a commercial environment
- Massachusetts Electrical License (Required) Masters preferred
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.