|Type/Department:||Staff in Hampshire Food|
|Search Status:||Search Suspended|
|Apply Now:||Currently we are not accepting resumes for this position.|
Department: Dining Services
Job Title: FSW- Cook
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 40 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $17.00 – $18.00 Hour/Non-Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Assistant Director of Dining Services
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. Our dining services department provides high quality meal services to students, employees, and guests in the form of take-out, dining-in, and catering from multiple locations on campus. Dining services is a creative, collaborative, and positive work environment. As part of the dining services team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
NOW OFFERING A $300 SIGNING BONUS
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The cook serves as a contributing member of the dining services team. This position works in close coordination with other dining services staff and under the supervision of kitchen supervisors and the kitchen manager to prepare, present, and serve food. The position supports all aspects of dining operations to include set up, cooking, cleaning, and general assistance to other dining services staff.
As a member of the division or finance and administration, this position may assist with other division and college projects, events, and special assignments. Seasonally, this position may be assigned to the facilities department to assist with light duty assignments and tasks as assigned.
- The person in this role will have working knowledge of standard culinary units of measure, current and popular trends in the food service industry, and the ability to replicate these trends.
- The person in this role will be familiar with, and able to operate a wide range of industrial kitchen equipment ie; steamers, convection ovens, tilt skillets, slicers, robot coupe and floor mixers
- This role will demand fine knife handling skills as well as the knowledge and ability to use numerous cooking techniques.
- The person in this position will need to work in a wide temperature range.
- Must be organized, detail oriented, and able to multi task.
- Must have good verbal communication skills.
- Must have a cheerful disposition when communicating with guests.
- Must be resourceful, resilient, self-motivated, and energetic.
- Must be able to lift up to 35 pounds, and frequently bend and twist from the waist.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time, up to 4 hours consecutive.
- This position will require frequent use of hands and arms.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- Demonstrates and supports a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- A minimum of two years working in a high volume restaurant, or college, kitchen.
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.