Outdoor Programs Instructor
|Type/Department:||Administrator in Outdoor Programs and Recreational Athletics|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Department: Outdoor Programs, Recreation and Athletics (OPRA) - Division of Student Affairs
Job Title: Outdoor Programs Instructor
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $46,000 - $50,000 / Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Senior Director of Student Affairs (OPRA)
Anticipated Start Date: July 11, 2022
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. Outdoor Programs provides participants the opportunity for personal growth and development through experiential learning and adventure with others. As part of the OPRA team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The outdoor programs instructor is a full time, 12-month professional staff member, reporting to the senior director of student affairs - outdoor programs, recreation and athletics (OPRA). This position is responsible for contributing to the daily operation of outdoor programs at Hampshire College. This includes but is not limited to instructing outdoor programs, hiring and supervising student staff, outfitting these programs and staff with necessary equipment and supportive resources, and directly supervising outdoor program facilities such as an indoor climbing wall, bouldering cave, equipment room, and bike shop.
The instructor is a student development practitioner who cares deeply about forming strong relationships and engaging in meaningful experiences with students, open to new and challenging experiences directed towards professional growth. Under the leadership and direction of the senior director, the instructor will serve all students, while paying close attention to the varying needs of students from different cultural backgrounds and identities that may require focused support and considerations in the health and wellness capacities. This staff member must have experience in program planning and management and feel comfortable working in an evolving and fast-paced organizational framework with shifting responsibilities. This staff participates and contributes to campus-wide educational initiatives, for instance the ENGAGE Day of Learning, New and Transfer Student Orientation, Community Orientation, and Community Education Day that advances the College’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Participates as a committed member of the student affairs team in college and divisional committee work, projects, meetings, retreats and overall community development: assists in the coordination and facilitation of academic courses, co-curricular activities and services for students. Availability to work evenings and weekends is required.
- Demonstrated experience instructing outdoor and experiential education programs. Specifically, must be qualified to instruct a minimum of 3 of the following program areas upon hire:
Canoeing (flat water)
Cross Country Skiing
Wilderness Medicine (WFA/WFR)
- Demonstrated knowledge of outdoor leadership in higher education.
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED or ability to obtain within one month of hire.
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Professional oral and written communication skills.
- Current MA Driver’s License with a clean driving history in order to be approved to operate campus vehicles.
- Demonstrated experience working with Microsoft Windows, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities.
- Embraces and actively promotes an inclusive and equitable work environment.
- Experience supervising and developing college student leaders and young professionals.
- Climbing Instructor Certifications from AMGA or PCIA.
- ACA Paddling Instructor Certifications (Flat or whitewater for any watercraft)
- Leave No Trace Master Educator
- Active NIRSA, AORE, or AEE Member
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Two-year college degree or equivalent
- Minimum of two years’ job related experience
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in outdoor leadership, recreation, kinesiology, or related field
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin on May 9, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.