|Type/Department:||Administrator in Admissions Office|
|Search Status:||Position Filled|
|Apply Now:||Currently we are not accepting resumes for this position.|
Job Title: Admissions Counselor
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $36,000 - $38,000/ Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Associate Director of Admission
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The Department of Admissions conducts extensive in-person travel and virtual meetings to recruit students who will embrace the Hampshire College community and the College’s distinctive approach to a liberal arts education. Through a holistic review of its global applicant pool, Admissions seeks a diverse range of students who will consider how their education will innovate, pioneer, and profoundly and positively impact the common good. As part of the admissions team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The admissions counselor recruits in an assigned domestic geographic territory and manages a portfolio of office assignments, with the key responsibility being to recruit, hire, train, and manage the admission interns who conduct tours, interviews, and outreach to prospective students. Interns also staff the front desk in the admissions office lobby. The admissions counselor works through in-person and virtual visits with schools and community organizations to build and sustain relationships with counselors who will connect students compatible with the Hampshire College mission and model. As with all admission counselors, this individual will also be on the office’s on-call duty roster to conduct information sessions and interviews and to respond to calls and e-mails to the general admissions phone line and e-mail address. During application reading season, the admissions counselor will read all applications from students in their territory and work with others in the office to identify applicants in their territory suitable for institutional aid for students from historically under-represented and marginalized communities.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism.
- Understands the specific experiences of historically marginalized racial groups in the U.S., particularly Black, Indigenous, and Latinx groups.
- A demonstrated knowledge of and passion for the elements, curriculum, campus culture, and pedagogical approaches that define a Hampshire College education.
- Computer skills within a professional environment, including proficiency with Word, Excel, Google Docs, Zoom, and Power Point.
- The ability to work independently and remotely but also within the framework of an in-person office setting where the admissions counselor will be collaborating with not only other admissions staff but staff, students, and faculty from every facet of the College community.
- A valid driver’s license.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and their impact on under-served and under-represented communities.
- A willingness to travel at times with a demanding schedule that goes beyond typical office hours.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Four-year college degree or equivalent
- Minimum of one year job-related experience
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
- A bachelor’s degree from a small, liberal-arts college
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We’re particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.