Web Developer II - Temporary
|Type/Department:||Administrator in Information Technology|
|Search Status:||Position Filled|
|Apply Now:||Currently we are not accepting resumes for this position.|
Department: Information Technology
Job Title: Web Developer II - Temporary
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $73,000 - $80,000 / Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Associate Director of Information Technology
Anticipated Start Date: January 3, 2023
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The information technology department collaborates with the rest of the community to further the College’s mission, as well as providing a wide range of academic and administrative technology support and services to the Hampshire community. As part of the information technology (IT) team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Web Developer works as part of a team, particularly with the rest of the Web team and the Enterprise Systems team, and with other staff, faculty, students, and outside firms as needed, to design, develop, install, and maintain custom interfaces to Hampshire College’s ERP, Colleague, and especially the front end to the academic program, referred to commonly as “evals”. This is a temporary 2-3 year position to support the rewrite of this interface and will end when the initial rewrite is complete.
As part of the IT department, this position may work to support other department projects, tasks, and events as necessary and as assigned.
- Demonstrates an understanding of diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-oppression concepts and issues, especially as they apply to programming.
- Familiarity with database query languages such as SQL, and data exchange formats such as JSON
- Experience developing within an application framework such as Django
- Comfort with command line access to servers and git repositories
- Solid working knowledge of common DevOps techniques, including docker deployment, continuous integration, and automated testing
- Incorporates an anti-racist and anti-oppressive lens into regular practice.
- A solid appreciation of web accessibility concerns
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- Experience developing a JS such as React
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Four-year college degree or equivalent
- Three years of experience designing and implementing database-backed web sites, with a concern for maintainability and extensibility
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
• Middleware development
• Multivalue databases
• Web server administration
• Agile development
• Atomic design principles, as applied to style guides and design systems
• CSS methodologies such as OOCSS, BEM, and SMACSS
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.