Vegetable Production Manager
|Type/Department:||Administrator in Farm Center|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Department: Farm Center
Job Title: Vegetable Production Manager
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours week
Pay Range/ Status: $50,000 - $55,000 / Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Director of Farm Programs
Anticipated Start Date: December 1, 2023
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The Hampshire College Farm Center produces ethical and sustainable food for our community; offers our students a connection to place through authentic and practical work; and provides opportunities for research, individual creativity, reflection, and recreation. As part of the farm team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The vegetable production manager operates under the supervision of the director of farm programs and in close collaboration with other members of the farm staff. The manager assists the director of farm programs in all management duties related to operation of the vegetable farm, including supervision and mentoring of student and summer employees; the production, distribution, and sales of vegetable products; and general farm, equipment and field maintenance. In conjunction with the director of farm programs, the manager will aid in the creation and tracking of vegetable enterprise production plans, budgets and long-range plans. The manager will also assist in providing farm-based educational opportunities and programming to students, faculty, and others.
As a member of both the farm center and the division of academic affairs, this position is essential to student and community service and experience. The incumbent must feel comfortable working in an often fast-paced organizational framework with shifting and evolving responsibilities. This position collaborates with other farm staff, and a variety of other College offices to meet the department goals, and further the mission of the department and the College. This position participates as a committed member and leader of the farm center team in college and division committee work, projects, meetings, events, and overall community development. Availability to work occasional nights and weekends is required.
- The ability to operate and maintain farm equipment with an emphasis on vegetable production.
- Knowledge of plant and soil science especially in relation to organic systems.
- The ability to organize, supervise and motivate student work-study crews and summer employees.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work independently and the willingness to work as part of a management team.
- The ability to maintain records as well as good organizational and time management skills.
- A passion for working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- An ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
- The ability to support and enhance a sense of belonging and the success of students from traditionally marginalized populations.
- A valid driver’s license and successful completion of the College’s defensive driving training course.
- Employment is contingent on successfully passing a DOT physical with lift test.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
- The skills to help create and maintain vegetable production plans and enterprise budgets.
- Familiarity with relevant produce safety regulations.
- The ability to translate and teach complicated work skills to all levels of competencies.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- A high school degree, GED, or equivalent.
- At least two seasons of vegetable production experience.
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We’re particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.