Grounds/Outdoor Maintenance Worker
|Type/Department:||Staff in Physical Plant|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Department: Physical Plant
Job Title: Grounds/Outdoor Maintenance Worker
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 40 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $15.00 - $17.00 Hour/ Non-Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Senior Director of Facilities and Business Operations
Anticipated Start Date: September 6, 2021
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The Facilities and Grounds department supports the educational mission and campus community of Hampshire College, with a special commitment to sustainable practices. As part of the facilities team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The grounds/outdoor maintenance worker will execute the routine grounds program (mowing, landscaping, snow removal, outdoor trash and compost removal) as well as special projects (repair and creation of paved walls, walkways, roadways, garden beds, etc.). Participation in the preparation for and execution of special events is required. Grounds/outdoor maintenance workers must participate in the snow removal and emergency response programs.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of grounds care techniques and practices as related to the New England Region.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- Ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- Minimum three (2) years experience in commercial grounds work or the equivalent.
- Valid Massachusetts Class II Drivers License (Air Brakes) required within 6 months.
- Valid Massachusetts (Hoisters) required within 6 months.
- Must be able to be licensed under the college’s driver credentialing program upon hire and pass the DOT physical.
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
- Experience with operating snow removal machinery (BobCat, Plow Truck, Salt/Sander, etc.).
- Experience working on a residential campus, sports facility, or agricultural operation.
- Experience with heavy machinery maintenance and repair.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin on August 13, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.