Director of Global Education
|Type/Department:||Administrator in Dean of Faculty Office|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Department: Global Education Office
Job Title: Director of Global Education
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $70,000 - $74,000 / Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs
Anticipated Start Date: December 1, 2021 or sooner
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The Global Education Office (GEO) encourages students to integrate global experiences into their academic program in ways that expand their understanding of other cultures, perspectives, and educational environments; promote ethical citizenship and community; and inspire positive change in the world. As part of the Academic Affairs team, you will be instrumental in achieving the mission and goals of Global Education!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Global Education is responsible for overseeing global (international and domestic) initiatives, integration into the academic program, daily operations of the Global Education Office, major fellowship and scholarship applications, and supporting student academic advising. The incumbent is committed to Hampshire College's mission as an anti-racist campus and incorporates issues related to diversity, access and inclusion of college-aged adults into advising, programming and outreach within both education abroad and international student and scholar services. In addition, the Director is responsible for guiding the institutional vision and commitment to the standards of best practices in education abroad and international student and scholar services, providing campus-wide leadership in advancing, promoting, and administering domestic and international educational opportunities and programming at Hampshire College, and fostering successful applications for competitive national fellowships. The Director works closely with the Dean of Faculty Office and the Academic Program to integrate global education and citizenship into the curriculum, collaborating with the Learning Collaboratives and other academic programs to develop related programming as needed. The Director also is the primary emergency contact for the Global Education Office and oversees emergency protocol for, crisis and risk management as pertaining to both inbound and outbound international programs. The Director has responsibilities within academic advising broadly, and works with the Center for Academic Support and Advising in supporting student success. Breadth, depth and type of activities may shift as related to institutional priorities and current enrollment, budgetary needs and status of international travel.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism and experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Excellent intercultural and interpersonal communication skills demonstrating an understanding of cultural differences in order to be able to foster strong working relationships with a variety of constituents both on and off campus and from a variety of cultural, ethnic, educational and economic backgrounds
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience within the field of international education, preferably with study abroad advising and program management
- Ability to serve as an advocate for individuals of all ethnicities, genders, ages and backgrounds and demonstrate an understanding of diversity and inclusivity best practices as it pertains to the field of international education, working with a wide-range of students traditionally underrepresented in education abroad
- Working knowledge of US and international higher education systems and understanding and knowledge of best practices, current trends and regulations in the field
- Strong leadership, analytical, creative problem solving, organization, advising and communication (written & oral) skills
- Strong collaborative skills, able to build relationships both on and off-campus, collaborating with faculty and other academic and student life departments as well as a variety of outside constituents including but not limited to, overseas partners, international scholars and government agencies
- Comfortable working in a one-person office environment, able to do a wide-range of high-level decision making as well as administrative tasks
- Ability to establish priorities among multiple, on-going activities and projects in order to complete tasks expeditiously
- Must be flexible and comfortable with ambiguity, able to adapt to changing circumstances
- Excellent computer and administrative skills and comfortable with web and social media promotion
- Experience living, working, and/or studying abroad
- Demonstrated international travel risk & crisis management experience
- Be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident in order to carry out the responsibilities of J-1 visa advising
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
MA in International Education, Higher Education Administration or related field or equivalent experience
Five years of job-related experience
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
- Experience with academic and/or study abroad advising in an institutional setting within higher education
- Understanding of competitive national fellowships and experience advising students in pursuing them
- Proficiency in a language other than English, preferably Spanish
- Experience working with faculty and faculty-led programs
- Knowledge of and experience with visa and immigration regulations specific to J-1 visas
- Supervisory experience, especially with student workers
- Familiarity with professional organizations and scholarship opportunities such as NAFSA, the Forum on Education Abroad, Diversity Abroad, the Gilman Scholarship, Fund for Education Abroad etc.
- Budgetary management experience
- Familiarity and experience with web-based study abroad application management software
- Experience advising students on independent study abroad and research abroad
- Willingness to learn new skills and practices as necessary to better advise and mentor students
- Have a good sense of humor and able to “go with the flow”
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.