Assistant Manager-Vegetables/Student Outreach
|Type/Department:||Staff in Farm Center|
|Search Status:||Position Filled|
|Apply Now:||Currently we are not accepting resumes for this position.|
Department: Farm Center
Job Title: Assistant Manager-Vegetables/Student Outreach
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $17.50 - $18.50 Hour / Non-Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Director of Farm Programs
Anticipated Start Date: January 2022
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The Hampshire College farm produces ethical and sustainable food for our community; offers our students a connection to place through authentic and practical work; and provides opportunities for research, individual creativity, reflection, and recreation. As part of the farm team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The assistant manager-vegetables/student outreach operates under the supervision of the director of farm programs and in close collaboration with assistant manager-livestock/pasture. The assistant manager-vegetables/student outreach is responsible for assisting the farm director in all management duties related to operation of the vegetable farm, including supervision and mentoring of casual employees, student employees, and summer interns; the production, distribution, and sales of vegetable products; the creation and tracking of vegetable enterprise budgets; and general farm, equipment and field maintenance. The assistant manager-vegetables/student outreach will also provide farm-based educational opportunities and programming to students, faculty and others.
- Ability to operate and maintain farm equipment with an emphasis on vegetable production
- Exceptional knowledge of plant and soil science especially in relation to organic systems
- Familiarity with relevant produce safety regulations
- Understanding of how diverse agricultural enterprises interact
- Ability to organize, supervise and motivate student work-study crews and summer interns and the ability to translate and teach complicated work skills to all levels of competencies
- Ability to support and enhance a sense of belonging and the success of students from traditionally marginalized populations
- Ability to create and promote diversity, equity and inclusion activities on the farm
- Ability to maintain records; good organizational and time management skills; the ability to help create and maintain vegetable enterprise budgets
- Strong written and oral communication skills and exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to use social media and other forms of communication technology
- Work independently
- Knowledge of and commitment to Hampshire's unique educational experience
- Passion for working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments
- Demonstrate and support a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion;
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- A high school degree or GED or equivalent
- A minimum of two seasons of vegetable production management experience or other farm related experience.
- Requires a valid driver’s license and successful completion of the College’s defensive driving training course.
- Requires a DOT physical.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.