|Type/Department:||Administrator in College Advancement|
|Search Status:||Searching for Candidates - Accepting Applications|
|Apply Now:||Would you like to apply for this position?|
Job Title: Development Officer
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 35 Hours a week
Pay Range/ Status: $75,000 - $80,000 / Exempt
Location: Hampshire College Campus in Amherst, MA
Reports to: Leadership Giving Officer & Campaign Strategy Director
Anticipated Start Date: February 28, 2022
Hampshire College, an independent, innovative liberal arts institution and member of the Five College consortium, is located on a beautiful rural campus in Amherst, Massachusetts. We provide residential undergraduate education to nearly 600 students. Each department at Hampshire College contributes to the collaborative culture of the organization and plays an important role in the success of the College. The mission of the college advancement team is to build and sustain positive relationships across multiple constituencies and to engage robust philanthropic support from many different sources in order to realize fully the academic mission and potential of Hampshire College. As part of the advancement team, you will be instrumental in the department achieving its mission and goals!
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The development officer is responsible for frontline fundraising and management of annual fund programs and activities in support of and alignment with the five-year, $60,000,000 Change in the Making campaign. A key member of the fundraising team, the incumbent will take a comprehensive and strategic approach to raising more than $2,000,000 annually in unrestricted support for Hampshire College from the annual fund base of alumni, family and friends of the College. The development officer will build and grow relationships with a portfolio of leadership annual fund prospects who have the capacity to give $3,000 or more annually, including personal solicitation and travel to donor visits as needed. They will manage a calendar of print, email, and digital solicitations, collaborating closely with the director of advancement services and the director of advancement communications on a data-driven approach and engaging, brand-consistent creative. They will harness volunteer passion and skills to advance fundraising, particularly assisting with days of giving and giving challenges. Operating within a multi-functional and collaborative advancement division, the development officer will oversee special projects related to donor relations, including but not limited to programming donor events, assisting with cultivation of key major gift prospects, and managing recognition societies including the Harold Johnson Planned Giving Society.
- Demonstrated ability to build and steward relationships with donors and volunteers, including comfort with frontline fundraising and desire to make personal solicitations.
- Experience successfully managing multi-channel fundraising campaigns.
- Proven-track record with cultivating, soliciting and closing 4 and 5 figure unrestricted gifts.
- The ability to work across teams to achieve goals while fostering a positive work environment.
- Experience in digital fundraising or marketing, including interest in exploring and piloting new tools, platforms, and methods of engaging donors.
- Computer expertise within a professional environment, including proficiency with Word, Excel, Access (or other relational databases), PowerPoint. Experience working with a fundraising database.
- Dedication to building a diverse donor base and working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments.
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, and to work productively by establishing her or his own work plan, systems, and priorities.
- Strong and accurate writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Drive strategic decisions through strong data analysis and be results-oriented.
- The desire to be part of a collaborative team and operate within an adaptive, fast-paced campaign.
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree and 5 years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Alternatives to formal education and paid work experience may be considered as equivalent qualifications to include military service/training, volunteering, activism, and other non-traditional programs and experiences related to the position.
Hampshire College offers an excellent benefits program for eligible employees such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, generous retirement plan contributions, flexible leave plans, and many other fringe benefits. For information on Hampshire College, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.hampshire.edu.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity employer and deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are particularly committed to revealing and combating the social and institutional structures that support racism and white supremacy in all phases of employment and college life. We believe that the educational and employment environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to work and grow. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, veterans, and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Hampshire College is committed to removing barriers to employment faced by equity-seeking groups and encourages (but does not require) members of these groups to self-identify in their application materials. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity in the work environment are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your cover letter, resume and names/phone numbers of three professional references via our website at https://jobs.hampshire.edu/
Review of applications will begin on January 24, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to diversity and inclusion in education and employment.